Thursday, April 21, 2016

Brisbane launches: The Art of Reading and My Sister is a Superhero

On Tuesday I tripped up to Queensland for some more muggy literary adventures.

Tuesday night was the Brisbane launch of The Art of Reading, at West End's glorious Avid Reader bookshop.
A great crowd, made sublime by Ashley Hay's
cookie monster t-shirt
A fantastic crowd joined me and Radio National's Sarah Kanowski to talk about everything from 'beer fiction' (like my Star Trek binge) to Batman, Austen to AJ Ayer.

Earnest philosopher face
The conversation is now online at Radio National's Books and Arts.

After the chat, I signed some books, then headed out to dinner at the Chop Chop Chang's.

Defacing products
Big thanks to Avid Reader, especially events mage Krissy Kneen and co-owner Fiona Stager, and to Sarah Kanowski for taking the time to read and talk so generously. Thanks also to Melbourne University Publishing.

*

The next day, after a quick trip to the Queensland Art Gallery, I launched My Sister is a Superhero at Where the Wild Things Are, Avid Reader's little sister shop.

I was joined by my illustrator extraordinaire, Peter Carnavas. There were dress-ups, cupcakes, quizzes, prizes and, of course, a spirited reading.

Iron Fist uses his powers to somehow read in that mask
Iron Fist watching Plaid-Man uses his drawing superpowers
Thanks to a great audience of superheroes and their parents, and to Where the Wild Things Are and the University of Queensland Press.

No comments: