Sunday, February 16, 2014

Climate change, (more) exercise and ninjas in bookshops

Speaking at the Climarte forum: are solar panels
available for foreheads?
Yesterday evening I gave the keynote lecture at the Sustainable Living Festival's panel, 'Climate change: what role for the arts?'

Organised by Climarte, the forum was organised to examine the role of fine arts in overcoming the environmental crisis. My lecture was specifically about the ethics of art and climate change: what ought artists do? What, if anything, can we ask of them? What can be asked of us?

I'm happy to say that the Deakin Edge theatre was full, with some in the aisles. And there were some good questions and comments, including a nod to the excellent Marxist geographer, David Harvey.

Iron Man is all about
clean energy
The forum was recorded on video -- I'll link to this when it's online, and publish an edited version of my lecture. I also spoke about the forum to Hilary Harper on ABC 774's 'Saturday Breakfast' program -- hopefully the interview will be online.

I was on the ABC again on Friday and Tuesday, talking about How to Think About Exercise. (It was also excerpted in The Guardian.)

My first gig was with Phil Kafcaloudes, on Radio Australia's 'Breakfast' program, and we had a good yak -- not only about my book, but about the whole School of Life How to... series

George McEncroe. And a chin with ears.
The second chat was with George McEncroe on Radio 774's 'Evenings' program. We had some excellent calls and texts from listeners, including one man who spoke about the fear of speeding cricket balls -- and the thrill of facing them courageously. (Echoes of my chapters on pain in martial arts and ballet.)

Signing subtly coloured books 
I also signed copies of How to Think About Exercise at a few bookshops, including Dymocks Collins Street and Camberwell, Readings Carlton and Hawthorn, and the always enlightened Embiggen Books (where Philosophy in the Garden was launched).

(If you're overseas or interstate, you can tweet me for a signed bookplate -- I'll post it to you.)

Speaking of bookshops, here's the poster for My Nanna is a Ninja, out in late February. It's on the wall at Readings Hawthorn. As you can see, illustrator Peter Carnavas has done a brilliant job. I'll be doing some readings to kids at Readings Carlton and elsewhere -- check my 'events' noticeboard (on the sidebar) for details.

Ninja: not so stealthy against canary yellow

No comments: