Thursday, January 19, 2012

Astrology: an odd mix of humility and arrogance

I've my regular ABC column up today, 'Astrology: an odd mix of humility and arrogance'.

I'm exploring why folks gravitate (haw haw) to astrology, and why this is a mistake. A sample:
Astrology fails as science and existential commitment. It cannot predict or control the physical world – except perhaps providing an income for astrologers. It cannot encourage liberty of consciousness, since it gives responsibility for character to distant cosmic bodies: I am Leo, forever fixed by the stars. Meow. This is classic bad faith.
(Photo: French engraving of an Egyptian depiction of the sky and divinities, courtesy of the US Library of Congress)

2 comments:

Philosophy and Life said...

It struck me that what you say of the stars could almost as equally be said of our genes, and yet genelogy is a respectable science, as astrology once was, of course. Wonder what that says about the future.

Damon Young said...

Thanks, Mark. That's a very good point. I presume you'd distinguish between genetics and genealogy?