Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Kicking It With My Bro, Brough

On the weekend I spoke to Alan Brough (the tall one on the right) about Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness.

And, yes, I wore my Karate gi to the interview.

As always, Alan asked excellent questions, and was a warm, hospitable host.

We spoke about virtues (e.g. honesty, courage, restraint), the oppositions between mind and body, intellect and physicality, and the puzzles philosophers find in the martial arts (e.g. no-mind).

You can hear the full interview with Alan here.

4 comments:

Reservoir Dad said...

Just thought I'd let you know that Archie has started Karate. He loves it. Already some interesting discussions with him about the use of force, respect, discipline. I'm really rapped with how he's taken to it and the way it's making him think.

Damon Young said...

Good news. I hope it continues to work out for Archie.

I contacted a local Karate school for Nikos, but they haven't replied. Bodes well for them...

I'd love him to do Judo, but there's nothing nearby.

danielsmith said...

Nice one, Day ... I'll have to check this out later at home. The good news is, I'm now only three degrees of separation from Myf Warhurst.

Oh yeah, and I've tried not following you on Facebook, but I don't have an account so I'm kind of stuck. Do you have any suggestions about other ways I can not follow you, since I can't follow you to not follow you?

Damon Young said...

I'm hoping you're myftaken.

As for not following, try having a cup of tea and writing with a fountain pen.