Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sex and Otters

I just read the Literary Review's 'Bad Sex' prize for 2010.  A bit late, I know - but better than being premature.

The winner was Rowan Somerville, for his novel The Shape of Her.

Now, I've not read Somerville's work.  It might be an excellent novel. And excerpting a passage from any book can be an act of unkindness.

But I cannot go past this passage:
He caught her rhythm, pulling and releasing, cradling and crushing; pushing up through his fingers with each swing, mining up, like an otter through wet sand.
The mind that gave us this metaphor, and others in Somerville's book ("Like a lepidopterist mounting a tough-skinned insect with a too blunt pin he screwed himself into her") is one worth meeting.  I'll buy The Shape of Her soon, and mine up through its pages.

No comments: