Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Along with our grapes, we're maturing nicely

I recently had a piece in the Canberra Times, 'Along with our grapes, we're maturing nicely'.

Australians are now drinking more wine than ever.  And this is a shift in aesthetic outlook - a new attitude to sensuous pleasure.  A sample:
Of course wine’s no radical revolution. A heightened aesthetic consciousness has no necessary moral or political value. But it demonstrates something worth toasting: a willingness to broaden and deepen our congress with life, if only momentarily. Wine is proof of maturity – ours, alongside the grape’s.

6 comments:

danielsmith said...

I drink more expensive beer than I used to. Does that count?

Damon Young said...

To brewers? Yes.

Brendan said...

That wine label looks familiar... Did you enjoy it?

Damon Young said...

I certainly did. It prompted me to try a different blend. (I mostly drink shiraz or pinot noir.)

Brendan said...

What other blend did you try? When we were in the King Valley I tried some Graciano (a Spanish grape). Very nice. Also some white port - exceptional.

Damon Young said...

Nothing exciting. Just a cabernet sauvignon merlot. I wouldn't normally think of the merlot (and not because of Paul Giamatti).