Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Well Being

I recently reviewed Well-Being, by Mark Vernon, for The Big Issue.  

It's a fine example of philosophy for a general audience, and part of a new series aimed at the mass market: 'The Art of Living', which is edited by Mark.

If this book is anything to go by, the series is spot on.  I wrote:

In Wellbeing, Mark Vernon offers readers an intelligent, sympathetic and generous discussion of the good in life, and how we might discover it.

            For Vernon, today’s ‘happiness’ fixation is misguided – hence his preference for ‘wellbeing’.  The quest for happiness can become a ruinous chase for pleasure, or a distraction from itself.  He thinks we’re most happy, not when we’re seeking pleasure or ‘positive emotions’, but when we’re chasing something beyond ourselves.

2 comments:

Dan said...

G'day Day,

Sounds good, I might grab myself a copy over the intermernet.

cheers,

-dan

Damon said...

I think you'll enjoy it, Dan.

He combines humour, intelligence and forthrightness with clear, no-nonsense prose.

I think the whole series is a fine achievement.